Jesse Lingard strike hands Manchester United FA Cup crown - News and More

News and More

Everything Trending....

Saturday 21 May 2016

Jesse Lingard strike hands Manchester United FA Cup crown

Ten-man Manchester United defeated Crystal Palace 2-1 in extra time to lift the FA Cup in the final at Wembley on Saturday.

Second half substitute Jesse Lingard's volley early into the second extra time period secured Louis van Gaal his first silverware with the Old Trafford club in what has been a rocky two seasons with the Premier League giants. 
Juan Mata forced a strong save from Wayne Hennessey in the 22nd minute. From a fortunate deflection in the box, his low, left-footed shot from the right was pushed out of danger by the sprawling keeper.
United carved out a quality chance minutes later from a corner, but Marouane Fellaini's close-range header took a deflection before going well wide of the goal.
Yannick Bolasie then forced a save from David De Gea on 27 minutes with a curled effort from outside the box.
Marcus Rashford created a quality chance for Anthony Martial with a fine run and pass from the right side only for the Frenchman to fire straight at a Palace defender.
Wilfried Zaha robbed Daley Blind in the United half and looked to have a penalty shout after a fine run into the box, but Wayne Rooney's sliding intervention was deemed clean and no foul was given.
Fellaini hit the woodwork eight minutes after the break, receiving a smart flick from Rashford before slicing his powerful shot off the frame of the goal from just inside the box.
Martial followed suit minutes later, looping a header from the center of the box that was only kept out of the net by the far upright.
Despite the pressure it was Palace who got the breakthrough in the 78th minute through second-half substitute Jason Puncheon. Kept onside by a slow-to-react Martial, the midfielder collected a lobbed pass behind the United defence and fired home a left-footed shot
Palace's pleasure would not last, however, and United struck back just three minutes later. Rooney made a winding run through the Palace defence and into the box, where his right-footed footed chip across the goal was chested by Fellaini and fell to Mata, whose volley deflected off a Palace defender before beating Hennessey.
Zaha flubbed his lines just before the end of regulation but the score remained deadlocked at the whistle.
Bolasie tested De Gea with a powerful, low volleyed attempt 12 minutes into the first extra time period, but the Spaniard's slight touch turned the ball past his far post.
Chris Smalling was sent off three minutes later for a second yellow card offence. Marking Bolasie, Smalling's cynical tackle to keep the Congolese from skipping free after having beaten the United defender left referee Mark Clattenburg no choice.
De Gea immediately came to United's rescue moments into the second extra time, kick-saving substitute Dwight Gayle's low shot after the Palace made had been played in behind the Red Devils' back line.
Michael Carrick then found himself with a free header only to fire agonisingly wide.
But the United mood would change just seconds later, and Louis van Gaal's side were celebrating after a perfectly hit volley from substitute Lingard. An Antonio Valencia cross was deflected directly into an oncoming Lingard's path and the United academy product hit sweetly into the top corner, leaving Hennessey no chance to react.


No comments:

Post a Comment